Think not lightly of good, saying, “It will not come to me.” Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good. — Dhammapada 9.122
Think for a moment about November 2016, November 2017, and November 2018. From being WOKE in 2016, to electing a progressive Democrat as Albuquerque’s Mayor in 2017, to sweeping New Mexico’s midterm elections with Democrats in 2018, we are in a movement that, drop by drop, shows signs of trending blue.
A trend is measurable change that indicates progress in a certain direction. For instance, West Side Democrats of Bernalillo County had 21 paid members in 2017. In 2018, that number increased to 61. In 2017, our mailing list was 57 members. Today we have over 260 recipients. Looking at one of our west side state House races, HD29 garnered 4,460 votes for the Democratic candidate in 2014, 6,968 votes for the Democrat in 2016, and in 2018, 7,065 people voted for the Democrat. So what next steps will continue this movement?
Engage in legislative and Democratic Party processes! Your attention and your participation are needed year round, but some pivotal events take place the first four months of 2019. January 15 – March 16, 2019 the New Mexico State Legislature convenes. On January 12, 2019, the West Side Democrats and the Adelante Progressive Caucus will host a Legislative Action Expo to help you connect with information and actions on issues you care about. Would you like to have a say in the direction the Democratic Party is taking? On three Saturdays between March 23 and April 27 (see dates below), we elect our local Democratic Party leadership. Those elections determine Precinct and Ward Chairs, County and State Central Committee members, and County and State Officers.
Mark your calendars and plan on attending the Legislative Action Expo and local Party elections. Together we are building a more representative inclusive democracy.
Yours in the movement,
NM State Legislature
- January 12, 2019: The West Side Dems and the Adelante Progressive Caucus will host a Legislative Action Expo. Find out how to keep connect with information and actions on issues that concern you.
- January 15-March 16, 2019: the New Mexico State Legislature will be in session.
Democratic Party Elections (Bernalillo County and New Mexico)
- March 23, 2019: our local Democratic Party elections begin. On that day, we elect people to help us organize our precincts and wards in Bernalillo County and we elect additional people to serve on the on the County Central Committee (CCC).
- April 6, 2019: CCC members and the precinct and ward chairs elect the Democratic Party of Bernalillo County leadership and they elect people to the State Central Committee (SCC).
- April 28, 2019: SCC members from around the state elect our state Party leadership.