FIGHTING FOR OUR SCHOOLS -- 2023
CALL TO ACTION – FIGHTING FOR OUR SCHOOLS:
WHAT: Vote November 7, 2023, to elect APS school board members who reflect OUR Democratic values.
HOW: Learn about the candidates / Choose YOUR candidate / Help them to get elected.
Dear West Side Neighbor,
A lot is at stake in this year’s APS School Board Election. On November 7th when the polls close and ballots have been counted, we will learn who will be seated on the APS School Board. All of us eligible to vote, whether or not we have family attending APS, need to work for the future of our children and community. Even students not yet able to vote have an active voice in what is important in their education. The youth of today are the future. Although the APS School Board Election is considered non-partisan, we need to work together to ensure candidates who reflect our Democratic values are elected. There are candidates aligned with the Moms For Liberty agenda that will cause harm to our youth, educators, staff, and community.
The School Board election has been a major focus of the West Side Dems (WSD) this year. We are making it easy for you to learn about the candidates, the issues, and key voting dates for this election.
- In June, we held a panel discussion on the importance of the election.
- In July, we held a forum of school board candidates who are registered Democrats in School Board Districts 1 and 2. See link here: (1) WSD Meeting July 24, 2023 – YouTube. (Only voters who live in a particular district may vote for a school board member residing in their District.)
- We’ve shared candidates’ event announcements on our website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. We’ve been following local and national issues in education today.
- We’re tracking candidate announcements and election updates as they are being made.
This special School Board Election ’23 section on our website makes it easy for you to get informed and involved now to determine our children’s future.
- GET INFORMED. Review the information, then look closely at each candidate. Choose YOUR candidate.
- Then GET INVOVLED. Work hard to elect the candidate you choose.
This year, in addition to electing School Board members we, will also be asked to vote on a mill levy for APS. “The two-mill capital improvement tax measure would continue a property tax of $2 per each 1,000 of net taxable value for property within the APS district. The tax rate would remain the same. Revenue from the two-mill levy helps pay for such things as maintenance, security, operations, technology, and musical instruments. If approved, the tax will provide capital revenue for the district through 2030,” according to the APS website. We recommend voting for the mill levy.
Now we welcome you to get the nitty-gritty in this special section. The future rests in (y)our hands.
Joe Sinico, WSD Chair, for the Executive Committee
Our October Meeting
Guest Speaker: former NM State Senator Dede Feldman
When: Tuesday, October 17, 6pm
Where: Taylor Ranch Library, 5700 Bogart St NW
Stand UP, Get Active
Now think about who you can invite to join us to an upcoming meeting of the WSD. We had successes in keeping the West Side Blue in 2022. Let’s become the ocean Kahlil Gibran speaks of and work together to Get Out The Vote for the upcoming APS School Board Election, create a Blue Wave on the West Side in the 2024 elections!
Our Picnic — August 19
To Serve the 88,000 Democrats
Living on the West Side
We encourage and support candidates who will work for the good of everyone in our community. We believe in a government that is truly “of the people, by the people, and for the people”…not just for corporations, Wall Street, or the rich.
United By A Common Goal…
Social justice and human rights are more important than corporate profits. We seek to improve the quality of life for all of our residents through grass-roots support of candidates who listen and work to implement liberal programs and legislation.
Your candidates can’t win without your help. Canvassing, phone banking, word-of-mouth, volunteering, and donating are all ways to work together to achieve our common goals.
Volunteer with the
West Side Democrats today!
- Newsletter and Website Content: Identify topics to cover, gather information, interview people, and write feature articles.
- Website Co-manager: Use WordPress to design, maintain, and update the West Side Democrats website. (Training will be provided.)
- Newsletter production: Use Constant Contact to design, build, and schedule our monthly newsletter. (Training will be provided.)
Publicize Your Events Here
If more people know what’s happening, more will participate and get involved. The West Side Democrats want to help you get the word out by publicizing your events on our website and in our newsletters.
Complete this form to send us your event information.