CLIMATE CHANGE IN NEW MEXICO IS REAL:
WHAT WILL JOE BIDEN DO?
For more information on Joe Biden’s climate change proposals, check out https://joebiden.com/climate-plan/
Joe Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face. It includes two basic truths at the core of his plan: first, the U.S. urgently needs to move on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge, and second, our environment and our economy are completely and totally connected.
Harnessing our nation’s huge energy and talents, Joe Biden believes we can turn this threat into an opportunity to revitalize the U.S. energy sector and boost growth across the economy. We can create new industries that will reinvigorate our manufacturing and create middle class jobs. We can export U.S. clean energy technology across the globe.
Biden’s first goal is to ensure the U.S. achieves a 100% clean energy economy and net-zero emissions no later than 2050. As president, he will jumpstart the process by signing a series of new executive orders that:
- set aggressive methane pollution limits;
- commit the Federal Government to ramp up purchases of 100% clean energy and zero-emissions vehicles and ensure that all U.S. government installations are more efficient and climate-ready;
- harness government purchasing power and supply chains to drive innovation;
- commit to preserving and implementing the Clean Air Act and developing rigorous new fuel economy standards;
- require companies to disclose climate risks and greenhouse gas emissions in their operations and supply chains;
- permanently protect American public lands under attack by President Trump and ban new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters.
These orders are only the beginning.
Joe Biden will also demand that Congress gets down to work. He will send them proposals to:
- enact legislation that establishes an enforcement mechanism to achieve net-zero emissions not later than 2050, including setting a target to meet by the end to his first term in 2025 to ensure we reach the final goal;
- invest $400 billion in ten years, in clean energy and climate research and development, and the subsequent rapid deployment of clean energy innovations across the economy. We know clean energy and jobs go together.
If Congress falls short of its duty to act, Biden will hold them accountable.
He will press Congress to pay for this historic investment in clean energy by ending subsidies for the fossil fuel industry, and rolling back the Trump tax incentives that enrich corporations at the expense of American jobs and the environment. Trump’s tax cut has been used by industry for stock buybacks and it has also created new incentives to shift profits abroad. Joe Biden believes instead of giving the money to big corporations we should use it to invest in a clean energy future that creates new jobs for U.S. workers and fights climate change.
Biden will make governors, mayors and other local leaders his partners in creating a clean energy future.
- He will work with state and local governments to make smart infrastructure investments which ensure our buildings, and our water, transportation and energy infrastructures can withstand the impacts of climate change.
- Joe Biden will direct Federal agencies to work with universities and national labs to ensure that state and local governments have access to relevant science, data, information, tools and training.
- He will spark the second great railroad revolution to create the cleanest, safest and fastest rail system in the world for both passengers and freight.
Recognizing that climate change is a global threat and a threat to U.S. national security, Joe Biden will not just recommit the U.S. to the Paris agreement on climate change, he will lead an effort to get every major country to ramp up the ambition of their own climate targets.
- He will ensure other country’s climate commitments are real and using America’s economic leverage and power of example, he will stop countries from cheating on their commitments.
- Under Joe Biden’s leadership, U.S. companies which supply low-carbon solutions will be provided with incentives to invest in clean energy worldwide. With the help of U.S. technology the world climate will be safer and U.S. jobs will be created.
Joe Biden will use the power of the U.S. government to take action against polluters who disproportionately harm low-income communities and communities of color, and he’ll ensure that the development of solutions to these problems is an inclusive, community-driven process.
Joe Biden will fulfill our common obligation to the workers, like coal miners, and the communities which powered our industrial revolution and subsequent economic growth. Joe Biden believes we have an obligation to ensure these workers and their communities succeed.